THE RESOURCE COMMONS
Sharing useful teaching and learning resources and ideas.
- NSDL Science Literacy Maps are a tool for teachers and students to find resources that relate to specific science and math concepts. The maps illustrate connections between concepts as well as how concepts build upon one another across grade levels. Clicking on a concept within the maps will show NSDL resources relevant to the concept, as well as information about related AAAS Project 2061 Benchmarks and National Science Education Standards.
- PRISMS is a collection of reviewed phenomena and representations for middle school. Our goal is to help increase the amount of content aligned and pedagogically useful resources available in the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) for middle school teachers and students.
Resources are evaluated for how well they support learning goals in Science for All Americans, Benchmarks for Science Literacy, and the National Science Education Standards and are grouped in the main menu by categories used in the Science Curriculum Topic Study.
- Page Keeley's Uncovering Student Ideas companion website - chock full of the latest news, PD opportunities, and resources related to Page's Uncovering Student Ideas series and other publications.
Digital Archives of Science Teaching Resources
- MERLOT is the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching which provides peer-reviewed teaching and learning resources. There are many discipline areas, including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Environmental Sciences. Advanced search allows you to locate materials specific to the discipline, type of resource (e.g. assessment tool, animation, presentation), and grade level (e.g. middle school).
- BEN is the Bioscience Educators' Network portal to the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) Pathway for biological sciences education. The BEN Portal provides access to education resources from BEN Collaborators and is managed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Over 18,095 reviewed resources covering 77 biological sciences topics are available. BEN resources can help you engage student interest, shorten lesson preparation time, provide concept updates, and develop curricula that are in line with national standards for content, use of animals and humans, and student safety.
- NSDL (National Science Digital Library) is the is the nation's online portal for education and research on learning in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
The Quintessential Web Resources for Teaching Evolution
Great Web Resources for Genetics and Epigenetics
More Informative Resources
Content Area Articles of Interest
Teaching with Biomolecular Models
How to extract your own DNA at home using everyday stuff!!!
Bugscope - an amazing cyberlearning resource for remote access to real-time scanning electron microscopy to study insects.
Beetle Claw, 5th grade, Pewaukee, MI. Courtesy of Michele Korb.
- Dr. Korb's informational website on using Bugscope in the classroom at http://michelekorbbugscope.wordpress.com/
- Bugscope website link (to sign up for sessions) http://bugscope.beckman.uiuc.edu/
- News release regarding the Bugscope project at http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-07/aaft-ho072011.php
More on simulations of evolution...